Audition date may vary from Steinway Official Website, pending each local Steinway showroom availability.
STEINWAY & SONS is proud to hold our second annual STEINWAY JUNIOR PIANO COMPETITIONfor young pianists ages 18 and under. The competition, which will be held at STEINWAYshowrooms throughout the United States and Canada, is an extension of our unwavering commitment to the pursuit of superior artistic expression through piano performance.
FIRST PLACE PRIZES
DIVISION I $400
DIVISION II $700
DIVISION III $1000
First, second, and third place winners at each STEINWAY-authorized showroom will receive commemorative medals and national recognition on the STEINWAY & SONS website. All participants will receive a certificate of participation and judges’ comments.
Two contrasting pieces for solo piano from different eras of Western classical music including Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Twentieth Century must be performed memorized. Original compositions and improvisations are not permitted. Repeats may be played at the discretion of the performer, but are not required. In regions with a high volume of participants, judges may need to cut performances off during the audition.
• Division I: Ages 9 and under (max 8 minutes)
• Division II: Ages 10-13 (max 10 minutes)
• Division III: Ages 14-18 (max 15 minutes)
Age requirements apply to applicant’s age as of April 1, 2019. Applicants must reside in the United States or Canada.
COMPETITION RULES ANO REGULATIONS
• Age requirements apply to applicant's age as of April 1, 2019. Applicants must reside in the United States or Canada.
• Students who have participated and won first place in the competition last year may not enter again in the same division.
• Students, teachers, parents, and audience members should not approach the judges for any reason during the competition.
• Assigned addition slots are final. Rescheduling requests are left to individual showroom's discretion. If a competitor misses theirturn, they will have forfeited their chance to participate (no refunds will be offered).
• Judges will be Alvin Zhu and Leonard Gilbert. If a change is made, this will be announced by the STEINWAY showroom prior to the competition.
• Close relatives or students who study or have studied with any of the announced judges or Steinway-authorized showroom employees are not eligible to compete.
• Students are only allowed to participate at one audition location.
• If the student's local authorized STEINWAY showroom is not participating, the student may choose to participate at another participating showroom of their choosing.
• Competitors are responsible for their own expenses to participate in the competition, including the cost of their travel.
• Contestants should wear their best performance attire.
• Qualifying competitors must perform live in order to be considered.
• Judges reserve the right to cut off a performance at their discretion.
• Evaluations for each round of the competition made by the jury committees are final. Participants and their families and teachers are not allowed to communicate with the judges. STEINWAY & SONS and STEINWAY showrooms reserve the rights to photograph, record, or video the auditions of contestants and winners and to use these documents for marketing purposes. No extra fee will be paid to the contestants.
• Each winner is solely responsible for reporting and paying any and all applicable taxes related to the prize(s) and paying
any expenses associated with any prizes, which are not specifically provided for in the official rules. Each winner must provide the Company with valid identification and a valid taxpayer identification number or social security number before any prize will be awarded.
STEINWAY & SONS reserves the right to the interpretation of the Terms and Conditions of the Regulations.
Have all your questions answered — by phone or email.
Get the latest from Steinway Piano Gallery Toronto.